SR article

Results

Here the results of the pilot will be discussed. These results are based on observations made by the team, who were present all the time during the pilot, the results of the evaluation forms and direct feedback from those who participated in the pilot.

In the pilot, the regular street vendor of Danbus Dairy used the Chameleon instead of his own bicycle during two days. Normally, the vendor picks up the sour milk, bongo, that he will vend that day, cycle around town to sell his products. There are many regular customers inside shops and offices that buy his products. On an average day, the vendor vends somewhere between 25-30 items in 7 hours and 75% is to his regular customers in shops. To serve these regular customers, the vendor goes inside the stores of the regular customers and vends his products here. The other 25% of the sales are to people who are passing by on the street.

During the first pilot day, the routine and route was the same, but the sales went up. The roads where products were sold can be found in appendix XXX. In 6 hours the vendor sold 40 items. The increase was most noticeable in the amount of sales to people passing by; this group was now 60%. When repeating this pilot, it is important to use a vendor who has regular customers and know where they are situated at what time a day. The same roads should also be used. The observers should keep some distance and not interfere with the sales.

The second pilot day, there was more focus on marketing. The appearance of the Chameleon did not change, but the direct marketing did. More people on the street were addressed personally by approaching them and asking them whether they would like to buy ‘a very cold bongo’ and the bell was used to attract attention and to make people aware of the product that were being sold. The result of this marketing strategy was enormous, 50 items were sold within 2 hours and 90% of the sales were to people on the street and passing by instead of regular customers.

The customers were drawn to the physical appearance of the Chameleon as well as the fact that the fridge made sure the products were really cool. However, most of the people weren’t prepared to pay more for the cooler products when asking them some questions after the purchase.

The workspace was fine, although some of the shelves were loose. The amount of workspace and storage available is not necessary but it was not an inconvenience.  

The garbage bin was not used as most people buy the product and the Chameleon is off to its next location before the product is finished and the packing can be thrown away. Besides that, the Ugandan people don’t pay that much attention to the environment and garbage can be found everywhere thrown on the ground.

There was not a lock on the Chameleon. During the pilot it was not necessary because the team was watching the Chameleon all time. However, putting a lock on the Chameleon and on the fridge would be a good idea as the Chameleon is left unattended quite some time during lunch and when the vendor goes in a building to deliver to regular customers.

All rights reserved