EXAMPLES OF FRUGAL INNOVATIONS
These are some examples of frugal innovation:
- China: Haier Washing Machine ‘Mini Magical Child’
- China: BYD lithium-ion batteries
- Ghana: Toyola charcoal stove
- India: TATA Nano car
- India: Chotukool
- India: General Electric portable electrocardiogram (ECG) Mac 400
- India: Aakash the $35 tablet
- Egypt: ADAPT housing
- Togo: 3D printer from E-Waste
- South Africa: Wonderbag
- South Africa: Moladi Housing
- Kenya: M-PESA currency system
- Netherlands / US / Ghana / Kenya: TAHMO weather stations
- Netherlands: Unilever OMO washing sachets
- Netherlands & Kenya: Philips Automated Respiratory Rate Monitor
- USA: Mozilla Firefox OS $25 smartphone
We now invite you to upload your own examples of frugal innovations in your field/region and share them with fellow students so that we can all benefit!
You can do so easily by filling in the questions (form) below.
Some further instructions:
- Please note that you need to type at least 40 characters into the submission block,
- You can add a picture (optional) by typing "[img=http://site_name.com/image_name.jpg]". If you add an image, the URL must end with ".jpg
If you would like to upload more than just one example - or if you would like to make comments or suggestions - then please post them in our discussion forum below.
We are looking forward to seeing a global list of frugal innovations!